Hamilton County strives to provide the information you need to successfully divert material from the landfill by explaining what can and can't be recycled in curbside recycling programs.
Some items cannot be recycled in a curbside or drop-off program, therefore Hamilton County R3Source provides suggestions for Recycling and Reuse Outlets for other items.
If you want to do even more, learn how to reduce and reuse the materials at your home.
Household Hazardous Products
What are Household Hazardous Products and how can they be properly disposed of? Year-round outlets may be available for some of your material. Items may also be taken to a local household hazardous waste company for recycling. Latex paint and pharmaceuticals may not be accepted at these locations.
There are many outlets for residents to properly recycle their old electronics, computers and TVs including various Electronics Recycling events.
Composting & Yard Trimmings
There are several ways to dispose of yard trimmings. R3Source sponsors several free Yard Trimmings Drop-Off Sites. Some Hamilton County communities offer curbside collection of yard trimmings. Backyard Composting can be a beneficial solution to recycling yard trimmings and kitchen scraps into a useful soil amendment.
Hamilton County R3Source offers free Composting Seminars where you can learn all about backyard composting from our experts.
Construction & Demolition Debris
There are six construction and demolition debris landfill locations in Hamilton County. Use these landfills for the disposal of unusable debris from construction projects.
Reduce your food waste to save money, help communities, and protect the environment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is Hamilton County R3Source and what do they do?
- If an item is not on my acceptable items list, and I think it could be recycled, should I put in my recycling bin/cart?
- What types of plastics can I recycle curbside? Why are some plastics like trays, and hinged (clamshell) containers not accepted in Hamilton County?
- Are cups recyclable?
- What is contamination and why is it bad for recycling?
- Where do items go for recycling after the hauler has collected them?
- What are the most common misconceptions about recycling?
- Which Hamilton County communities are the most successful in their recycling efforts?
- How can I reduce the amount of junk mail I receive?
- Can I put yard trimmings, latex paint, household hazardous waste, or electronics in my curbside recycling bin/cart?
- How can I compost my yard trimmings?
- How can I recycle or properly dispose of latex paint?
- How can I recycle or properly dispose of household hazardous waste?
- How can I recycle or properly dispose of electronic equipment?
- Since plastic bags, plastic film, etc. can't go in the recycling cart, where can I recycle plastic bags and plastic film?
- What simple things could any consumer do to reduce the amount of waste put into landfills?