Mow Greener Exchange Program
Residents of southwest Ohio* are invited to replace their gas-powered lawn mower with a new battery-operated mower through the “Mow Greener” program. There are two ways to participate:
- register below to receive a $100 VISA gift card after purchasing a battery-powered lawn mower at a retailer of own's choice and providing proof of purchase of a battery-powered mower purchased after January 1, 2023.
- register to receive a $100 voucher for the purchase of a battery-powered lawn mower at any participating Ace Hardware locations
Participants may only register for one Mow Greener option: the VISA gift card or the Ace Hardware voucher. Gift card recipients are not eligible to receive a voucher. Voucher recipients are not eligible to receive a gift card. Only one $100 VISA gift card or Ace Hardware voucher per household. Questions may be emailed to: MowGreener@hamilton-co.org.
Forest Park residents only: take advantage of an additional $100 incentive from Forest Park Environmental Awareness. Funds are limited - first come, first served. Purchase must be made after September 1, 2023. Visit ForestPark.org for details.
Why Switch Mower Types?
- Battery-powered mowers run cleaner than gas and oil-based engines.
- Battery-powered mowers are easier to maintain: no gas, oil or spark plugs.
- Battery-powered mowers are light weight & easy to start.
- Battery packs can be used in other same voltage/brand lawn care equipment.
- No more driving to the gas station to purchase gas/oil for the lawn mower.
- Charging an electric lawn mower is cheaper than using gasoline.
- Gas powered lawn equipment accounts for 17 percent of all VOC emissions, 12 percent of NOx emissions, 29 percent of CO emissions, and 4 percent of CO2 emissions nationally.
- The U.S. EPA estimates that more than 17 million gallons of gasoline is spilled each year while refueling lawn equipment, which pollutes the soil and releases VOCs.
Tip: be sure to properly store your battery-powered lawn mower to keep it out of direct sunlight when not in use. Keep the battery clean and dry. For more information and product reviews, refer to this Forbes article: Best Electric Lawn Mowers 2023.
Mow Greener is funded from a legal settlement with Volkswagen. The motor vehicle manufacturer violated emission control regulations several years ago. For more information, refer to the U.S. EPA website.
*Must be a resident of Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, or Warren county of Ohio to be eligible.
Scrap Metal Recycler List
It is recommended that you call the metal recycler in advance to check materials accepted and hours of operation.
Round Bottom Recycling: 5100 River Valley Rd., Milford, 45150; 513-248-4435
Refer to Clinton County’s website for options.
Garden Street Iron & Metal: 2815 Spring Grove Ave, Cincinnati, 45225; 513-721-4660; 7500 New Haven Road, Harrison, OH 45030; 513-738-2678
Miamitown Auto Parts & Recycling: 6980 State Route 128, Cleves, OH 45002; 513-353-1111
Phipps Auto Parts, 10429 Cozaddale-Murdock Rd., Morrow 45152; 513-722-2034